Hosting comes in different shapes and sizes, from standard web hosting, to virtual private servers and email hosting.
Occasionally, these things can make the news for all the wrong reasons – or you can find that what you're paying for isn't exactly what you want or need. Let's take a look at the most popular types of hosting, and what you should know.
What is Web Hosting? I have a domain name, isn't that all I need?
Think of your domain name like your home's street address. You own the "address" for your home, but you still need to have the physical plot of land to build your house on. That plot of land is your web hosting.
We recently covered the 9 things you need to know before you choose a web host, but what can you expect from Crazy Domains Web Hosting? Take superior technology for a start!
Many providers use old HDD technology as standard – did you know that this technology has been around since the 1950s?!
Our Premium and Unlimited Hosting plans use Solid State Drive (SDD) storing your precious data in microchips, meaning there will be no delay in retrieving or writing data – greatly improving the access time, and with it your web site's speed.
Crazy Domains Hosting at a glance
- High performance – our SSD hosting serves data about 100 times faster than HDD
- Our network is monitored 24/7 allowing you to rest assured that your site is in the best hands
- Unlike other hosting providers, Crazy Domains retains a backup array for all web hosting accounts for 30 days
- Your website also can't be automatically deleted. In the event of serious policy violations, or a simple contract expiry, we will advise you in advance that your website will be suspended. It stays as suspended for 30 days before being removed from servers
What is the advantages of a Virtual Private Server?
Virtual Private Servers (VPS) partition single physical servers into isolated virtual private servers, with each looking and behaving like a networked server system, complete with its own users, processes, and file systems.
VPS is different and more advanced than your standard web hosting, allowing multiple applications to be isolated from one another within the same container, which is dedicated to one customer.
What safeguards does VPS have?
You may have heard stories and read reports of unfortunate web hosting providers accidentally deleting customer data. How do you know your data is safe with our VPS?
- Your VPS can't be deleted without human approval. There are no automated scripts that could delete your website, they can only be manually deleted.
- All servers need to be shut down before they can be deleted, giving an extra level of peace of mind for you.
- Snapshots, a read-only copy of your data set taken at a point in time, are kept so that in the event of failure, we can “roll back" the VPS to any day in the last 7 days
Why get Email Hosting?
If you read the recent post 5 ways having your own email address pays for itself you don't need telling how having your own professional email address means that your emails are more likely to be delivered and less likely to be marked as spam.
There are other advantages, too, such as thinking about the future. If you use a free web based email provider, do you know if they will still be around in 5 years? More to the point, will you still want to be using it?
You might have an email address that you think is funny, or for your nickname, or just for a provider you think is cool. But while some sites like AOL and Hotmail have lost popularity, what is popular today might not be tomorrow. And what you think is a good name today might not be so great when you need to apply for a job, or when you ask customers to contact your business.
On the other hand, your name, or your business name, is less likely to change – or to be a source of embarrassment for you.
From a technical perspective, Email Hosting is a smart decision, providing you with the latest spam and antivirus technology, as well as being hosted on a word-class cloud storage network and coming with 24/7 tech support.
Got all you need?
An unlimited web hosting plan can be yours from less than $10/mo! Or if you're on a budget, you can spend less than a fiver a month – you'd struggle to get a large coffee for that in Sydney.
If you're not sure what hosting plan is right for you, or just need more information, we have staff available to take your questions 24/7 with email, telephone and live chat options available!